Whether your mother or grandmother lives in her own home, with you, in a facility or long distance from you, there are many things you can do to make this a special day for her.
- Prepare her favorite meal using her recipes instead of taking her out to dinner. Yet, if she is dreaming of eating out…. got for it! Make a special toast to her.
- If mom has accessibility to the internet, send email greetings, create a memory book using Shutterfly or another online photo system. Include stories that highlight memories.
- Plan an outing, like a picnic, and take a drive to a special place (like Filoli Gardens here in Northern California). If your mom is not able to go for a drive, create the special place wherever she resides and reminisce about wonderful things in the past.
- If no other relatives are near by, invite some of your mother’s friends who might be feeling lonely and have a special celebration and gathering for all to enjoy. How about a Tea, complete with special cups and saucers and sandwiches!
- bring a nice aromatherapy lotion and massage her neck, hands and feet. The healing power of touch is so important.
- Bring or send her fresh flowers or a potted plant with blossoms, especially if she is in a facility. If she has her own garden, perhaps you can get out there and do some planting together.
- Send her a gift box with a special theme that has meaning to her. Maybe it is from a special trip she took with your dad, or a hobby of hers.
However you decide to celebrate the day, take special care of yourself and don’t overdo. The small gestures and time with your mom is what matters most!